VH Gran Ventana Beach Resort
- What's Included
- All Inclusive Features
If you're looking for a great hotel with lots of food choices and a decent beach, this is it. Overall this is a solid 4 star, great for the kids and it even has a swim up bar for the adults.
Me and my sister have just returned from our 3rd visit to gran Ventana. We had an amazing time as always, however things had changed a lot since our trip in 2016.The entertainment team are amazing and one of the main reasons we keep returning. This year gran ventana had lost some amazing entertainers that were working in 2016 such as Versace, spaghetti and chakalaka who were all missed. Unfortunately Shorty was also off of work the 2 weeks we visited, luckily we got to see her, however her absence was felt and we missed her friendly face and laughs whilst we were at the resort. Delfy has now taken over the role of the main entertainer during the evening shows and is doing and amazing job in his new role whilst maintains the relationship he has with the guests. The hotel still provide a morning entertainment programme at the pool and beach and an afternoon entertainment programme at the the pool, however the amount of morning entertainment has decreased. Crazy pool games are now onlyPlayed in the afternoon and there is only a one week timetable of games so you end up playing the games twice on a two week visit. We really missed the morning crazy pool games that were available last year and the variety of games played. I am not sure whether the decrease in activities was due to the time of year we visited, we normally visit end of July-August, or whether it was due to staff shortages or a change in the entertainment team. The new entertainers are good and give 100% effort, you can tell Carlos and comporta really love their jobs, and Jardelli is very friendly and always made an effort to come and talk to us. However there was a little spark missing in comparison to last year (although I think the 2016 entertainment team will be hard to match) and I really hope shorty and delfy do not leave before our return visit in 2018.I have seen a lot of negative reviews about the rooms in the hotel. In the 3 years we have visited we have had no issues, they are perfect for what you need (unless you plan on spending hours of your holiday inside in your room.) They are cleaned to a high standard every day, with the mini bar refilled and clean towels provided.The buffet maintained its high standard from last year, Everyone is polite and will go above and beyond to help you, a special thanks to Raul and Roque who have looked after us on every visit. They really do go the extra mile to make your holiday special.Unfortunately the same can't be said for the bar staff. A select few this year were very rude and would question the amount of drinks we were ordering despite being in a large group; and on one occasion looked at our table and refused to serve us because we still had drinks un drunk (the bar was about to close and we wanted to get another round in before it did). Despite the few rude bar staff, most staff are very friendly and accommodating. As returning customers the staff recognise you and make you feel so welcome and part of the gran ventana family.Overall we still had an amazing time and will definitely be coming back.
Was there with my girlfriend for a week. Overall it was an OK trip, but the resort shouldn't be considered a 4 star. Food: Average selection of food in the buffet. No late night snack options. Variety store on the resort charges way too much. $10USD for a tin of PringlesService: Hit and Miss. Staff clearly had their "favourites, and sometime you would wait forever to get a drink. We tipped handsomely thinking it would help in getting us service, but it didn't. The was one bartender who stood out. Fautso was phenomenal. Always pleasant and would go above and beyond to make sure we had everything we needed. Cleanliness/Rooms: Rooms were average. Bed/pillows were HORRIBLE. Our room's maid, Sol, did a great job always keeping our room clean with fresh towels.Other notes: No 24 hour bar, which sucked KIDS EVERYWHERE! Nightly entertainment was mostly catered to the kids... No night life/party atmosphereBeaches were't the best. Vendors harass you every 2 mins, not an exaggeration. Beaches aren't the cleanliestCan't see the bottom of the ocean, which is sometimes terrifying when you don't know what you're stepping on.Overall, Just OK. Won't go back.
* Note: Due to the fact that this "resort" looks like a motel, there is no safe place for anyone who doesn't smoke. The smokers are allowed to smoke every where because it's an open space!!!! That includes the restaurants, the lobby, of course, the pools, and the hallways. To be honest, I don't want any rep from the resort to comment on my post trying to save face because when I complained when I was at your resort you didn't care so I don't want you to sit here and lie to other people who are looking into staying at your resort!I came here for a wedding and used a travel agent to book this place. Upon checking in, the front desk explained that we would have to pay for the internet which is $25 for about four days. The issue is that it's not for the room but just one device. The front desk person stated that there was free wifi by the stage. When I went to the stage to log into the free wifi, it prompts me to log into my Facebook or my Instagram. I went back to the front desk and asked them if there was any other way to get the free wifi without logging into my account, and he stated no. At that point in time I am just thinking to myself, well don't call it free wifi if I have to give you something to access it. When I finally got time to relax in my room, I notice that a room key card had to be used at all times for the air conditioner or the lights to work. I decided to go to the beach that was close by but wanted to lock up my documents and passports. Looking for the safe in the room, I noticed that it looked broken. Called front desk but no one picked up. I went down stairs and explained to the agent at the reception desk that the safe seems to be broken. The agent stated to me that it wasn't broken and that I had to pay for a lock which was $13. With that being said, I decided that I wouldn't have anyone come in the room for service and would just get fresh towels every day. By the way, my bathroom had mold in the tub and the sink and toilet didn't work properly.Once I finally got to the beach, you are surrounded by sellers! No just doesn't work, and they have a line that says, "Looking is free, jewelry" but I don't want to look. Every minute that you are on the beach is a chance for someone to come and bother you. They are selling massages, hair braiding, jewelry, sea shells, you name it, and they are selling it. The property has four resturants, the issues with the restaurants are 3 of them needs to be RSVP'ed. Ok, fine but there are days that one or the other restaurants didn't operate. How can you be in the peak of summer and have restaurants not serving? Then when they were, it seems like they were always booked! I have seen people ask for RSVP after the agent declining me and I see the same agent put their name down. The buffet food is ok but how many nights can you eat in there? Late nights there's only burgers and hot dogs. At check in they give you a ticket for pool towels. The problem with that is if you lose the card itself you have to pay $20 at check out. I have seen people taking other people's towels so that they can get a ticket back from the towel clerk. Every time I had something to ask the front desk, they would tell me that it wasn't included or I had to pay extra for it. Room service was something not included in my package as per guest service. How can you give your guest a minibar but not a lock to keep their stuff safe? Better yet no room service? At night everything was just dead. They didn't have a resort club, but one was about 2 minutes up the street, but you would have to pay for your drinks of course. Even though guest service agents were the nicest of all the staff, they can improve by telling each guest what activities they can do for free! It shouldn't be on a board that's located in a corner that you wouldn't see if your room wasn't that way. Provide a hand out with a schedule or put it in the guest rooms. Simple. I wish I would have read the reviews way before I came to this resort so I wouldn't be shocked. The resort pictures on all travel sites look great, but when you get to the property, you realize that those pictures could have been taken when the property first opened but it looks run down. Before I wrote this review, I called the travel agent to let him know how much I hated this trip and how nothing was included. I explained to him that the resort kept telling me how there were different packages and that the one we had was the cheapest. The agent stated that if he had different packages for this resort that he would have let me decide which one I wanted for myself and not just choose one for me. He stated that he would look into this for me as well. This property is for couples who are older and don't care for internet or room service. They are ok with sitting by the pool and eating the same food every day. They are also ok with paying $30 for a taxi to take you 10 minutes away and don't want to walk around.
Our first trip to Dominican Republic could not have been better, we arrived at Gran Ventana 30.june, First impressions of the hotel was very good and the staff was welcoming and we quickly got our room. We had room at the third floor vit a view of the pool and the room was clean, the AC worked perfectly. If I should complain about anything in the room it would be the water pressure in the shower, we noticed this the last day when we got a new room for our late check out that the water pressure in the new room was a lot better. Overall this wasn't a big issue and never bothered us much during our stay. The pool was nice, but you had to get out early to reserve a sunbed as more then half the beds would be reserved by 7:00, even tho it says in the information its not allowed to reserve a bed by putting your towel on it. Quite a few days we would see half the beds stay empty from 7:00 to 13:00 before people came out and used them, but we started using the private beach more and more and it became our place to go as it was a quieter place overall. The private beach is excellent, the only downside is that some of the sellers on the beach can be quite persistent. Not a big problem as most of them understands no and won't bother you much if you don't wan't to buy. The staff working at the beach is excellent. They learnt what we liked to drink and we never had to worry about running out of something cold to drink. The vintage club was overall a very good place to be, During the day we spent some time there enjoying a few drinks and we were taken good care of. The Girl working during the daytime I don't remember the correct spelling of the name of but she was very customer minded, always with a smile, paid attention and if we were empty she would be there directly and ask if we needed more. Some of the staff at the evening shift wasn't paying the same attention and sometimes they would be sitting looking at their phone rather then looking at the guests. However there was people on the evening shift also that were very good. Food wise we never went hungry, the food was overall good, our favorites quickly became the Italian place and the ocean grill, Octopus was more of a mixed experience. Overall staff on the restaurants were paying attention and we was well taken care of. The only negative part about the hotel as I would see it is the WiFi, it's very unstable and often we would have to log in again. This could happen even when we was using it. This wasn't however a big problem for us as our main goal with the trip wasn't to be online.We will be back next year! :)
Just lying on the beach or by the pool is hard at Gran Ventana. Just take a look at the pictures. Wi-Fi is currently a 4-star hotel, but not at Gran Ventana. Free wifi does not work, WiFi costs 35 usd per 7 days.?? And than stil doesn't work. In the slightly further rooms, 4g do not work even !! The room is also old. A star seems enough !!
Vacations packages include round-trip flights, accommodations, round-trip transfers (unless outlined below) to and from the hotel, and tourist cards (if required, unless outlined below).
If selecting an all-inclusive resort option, the package will also include the all-inclusive features as outlined by each resort.
Items not included:
- Travel insurance (mandatory if traveling to Cuba)
- Tourist cards ($10USD)if traveling to Dominican Republic with Sunwing Airlines
- Departure taxes ($20USD) if traveling to Dominican Republic with Sunwing or Signarture Vacations
- Hotel transfers for packages with WestJet to USA (with exception to Honolulu)
- Hotel transfers for packages to Europe
- Items of a personal nature
- Buffet breakfast, lunch and dinner daily
- Christmas and New Year's Gala dinner
- House Wine and Domestic brand drinks and Domestic beer from 10am-12am
- Introductory scuba diving lesson
- Boat cruises
- Daytime tennis
- Exercise classes
- Language lessons
- Dance lessons
- Daily activities
- Nightly entertainment
- Manager's cocktail party
- 506 rooms in three 3-storey buildings
- Buffet restaurant
- 3 a la carte restaurants: Caribbean, International, Seafood and Italian, dress code & reservations required
- 5 bars
- 2 outdoor pools
- 1 tennis court
- Gift shop
- Fitness facilities
- Exercise classes
- Scuba diving on site (fee)
- A range of watersports
- Beauty salon (fee)
- Wedding chapel
- 18-hole golf course nearby
- Meeting facilities
- Internet (fee)
Hotel Rooms include:
- 1 king or 2 double beds
- Ceiling fan
- Cable/satellite TV
- In-room safe (fee)
- Full bathroom
- Balcony or patio
- Max occupancy 4 persons up to 3 adults
Junior Suites include:
- Same as above but with living area
- Max occupancy 4 persons
Kids Deals - Kids 2-6 stay and eat free when sharing a room and existing bedding with 2 adults; pay only air and transfers. Max 2 kids. Kids 7-12 pay kids rate.
For the Kids - Kids 4 to 12 can enjoy supervised activities daily at the Kids' Club, games room, Playground, and kid's pool. Babysitting service available. (fee)
Honeymooners - Receive upgrade to Junior Suite (based on availability at check-in), a fruit basket, bottle of rum, a candlelight dinner for 2, and turndown service. Request at time of booking. Requires proof of marriage certificate at check-in.
Wedding Bonus - Packages available. Please inquire for details.
Golf Deal - Enjoy reduced rates at the Playa Dorada Golf Course ranked the 53rd best course in the Caribbean by the Golf Digest. Located adjacent to the hotel. Arrange locally.
Early Booking Bonus - This hotel may offer early booking bonuses at certain times of the year. If early booking bonuses apply to your vacation, prices shown online have already been adjusted accordingly. Please inquire for complete details.
Resort Location Map
VH Gran Ventana Beach ResortPuerto Plata,Dominican Republic
- Hotel Contacts
- Extra Info
Playa Dorada PO Box 22, Puerto Plata 57000 Dominican Republic
Some restaurants may be open for certain meals only and limited visits may apply. Reservations required and dress code in effect for a la carte restaurants. Time restrictions may apply for water sports.
Child pricing may only be available with select tour operators and valid for select dates and durations. Child pricing rules are subject to change without notice. Please contact one of our vacation specialists if you require assistance with child pricing.
Photo identification and/or credit card or cash deposit may be required at check-in for incidental charges.
Extra-person charges may apply and vary depending on hotel policy. Rollaway beds and cribs (infant beds) may be available and should be requested at the time of booking; fees may apply.
Special requests are subject to availability upon check-in. Special requests cannot be guaranteed and may incur additional charges upon check-in to fulfil.
Escapes.ca makes every effort to ensure that the information on this page is accurate, however, all information on this page is subject to change without notice. Escapes.ca is not responsible for any changes, errors or omissions that may occur.